Saturday 15 March 2014

Challenges, Backbends and Suffering......

Well it's been a rum old month so far - and we're only half way through, I feel like I have been sent some challenges to deal with and am doing my best with all the tools available to me.

I have already blogged about the return of the dreaded migraine - I won't bore you with more tales of that little incident!

I also tried to go dairy free for 3 weeks - that was about 2 weeks ago and have slipped up so many time I just can't tell you!  It is so much harder than I thought it would be.  It's fine having hazelnut milk on porridge and in coffee and I can manage without cheese, also discovered M&S walnut loaf is infinitely more delicious than the Cheese Boule.  But it's the hidden dairy that seems to be in everything that makes it so difficult, like milk in shop bought mayonnaise!  The key here really is not to eat any processed food at all - because chances are it contains dairy in some form or other.  Now it's not been the end of the world for me if I have something that contains dairy because I am not lactose intolerant, I have been trying to eliminate dairy to see if the hormones in the milk are what cause my acne (yes - another long-standing health issue)  Anyway it is back to square one on the dairy free diet and  I have a new found sympathy for anyone who is lactose intolerant.

I realise that these things are not major problems in the grand scheme of things.  Coincidentally I am coming to the end of my course in Buddhism and I feel I have a more complete understanding of the idea that being a human involves a fair bit of suffering and once we are awakened to this fact then paradoxically in the knowledge of that, we relieve our own suffering.  Having this understanding has made me more stoic in light of some recent challenges, some of which I have not blogged about!

On another note - I have been taking part in the Backbendmadness2014 challenge on social media, doing a different backbend every day.  I was so undecided whether to take part in this as I knew there would be some glamorous and amazing photos of lovely people in perfect postures probably on a beach somewhere.  But then I thought sod it, be the change you want to see, and have been doing the backbends and photographing them and posting on Twitter.  Most of the postures have been done straight after my own practice at home so no time to clear away the Lego and I think my youngest child's sick bowl has made it onto one of the pictures (empty you will be relieved to know)  So my pictures are quite clearly of a busy Mum on the wrong side of 40 trying her best to improve her yoga, in the hope that someone might see it and think 'If she can have a go then so can I!'  By the way, I think I missed day 3 crescent moon - as this was the day of the dreaded migraine!

So here is hoping that the second half of the month is fairly ordinary and uneventful.....and hopefully there is nothing much to blog about at the end of the month apart from how great tedium is!!

www.yogiclaire.com

No comments:

Post a Comment