Sunday 10 March 2013

Being Kind to Yourself with Yoga......



Many years ago I used to punish myself in the gym, punish is a strong word but that is what I was subconsciously doing, pushing myself to the limit pounding on the treadmill and cross training for all I was worth.  I have to say with little result, as the rest of my life was as full on too – eating, drinking, partying and working.  There was always a little nod to yoga at the end of my gym sessions as I have been brought up by my yoga teaching Mum and have been dabbling with yoga since I was a child!  So I would stretch out and relax and release my poor overworked body in traditional yoga postures at the end of the gym sessions, but never really went much deeper than the physical yoga at this time.

Now I am a Mum and a yoga teacher and do not punish myself with exercise.  I have implemented more of a yogic lifestyle.  I try to be kind to myself, I allow my body time to open and release in the postures which helps mentally and emotionally to deal with anything life throws at me.  Most people come to yoga classes initially for the physical asanas but if they stick with it they find they are benefitting in so many other ways.  Like dealing with stress more effectively, working more efficiently, enjoying better relationships with people, amongst many other benefits – both physical and mental.

I teach twice a week in a health club and these classes are sometimes noticeably different to my local church classes as a few of the students are used to being in other fitness classes or working with a personal trainer and being told to push themselves.  Or they may have an internal voice which tells them to push harder, go deeper and to be better (I used to have one of those internal voices) It is not for me to say if this is wrong or right but I tell people that what they do in those other classes or in the gym is fine if they enjoy it, but to leave their ego at the door and give themselves a break in my classes.  Be kind to your body, stay in the moment and try not to glance to the side of you to see how far the person next to you goes into the posture.  It’s not about that – it’s about practicing with consciousness and presence.  It’s about reconnecting with yourself and even if this only happens for an hour a week on that magical rectangle we call a yoga mat then so be it – but gradually if students continue to practice yoga mindfully – the yoga can spill out into all aspects of life to enhance and enrich and help us feel like we belong. 

In essence I am not suggesting people give up their other classes or activities in the gym but consider a yoga class to enhance and balance life and to benefit the whole being – not just the physical form…..

Claire Pickin BSYA


No comments:

Post a Comment