Tuesday 12 March 2013

The Ebb and Flow of Yoga......

Ever feel like you don't have enough hours in the day, days in the week etc. etc?  I think in the age we live in more and more of us feel like there is too much to do and not enough time.  Now this is a little at odds with the practice of yoga when we are encouraged to 'be present' and to 'enjoy the moment'  How can we do this when we are rushing around from one place to another with a million thoughts running around our heads??  This is precisely why we need yoga!!

My dilema recently has revolved around this time issue.  I teach a gentle Hatha yoga in my classes but my own practice is a bit of a contrast to this in that I try to practice Ashtanga Primary Series when I can!  But a few weeks ago I became a little disheartened, asking myself is there any point in doing Ashtanga if I don't practice every day early in the mornings (except Saturdays, New Moon and Full Moon days) as this is the traditional way.  I have done a course in Ashtanga but not with a view to teaching it, just to deepen my knowledge for my own practice (I know my limitations!) but I've never been to Mysore and been taught by Indian gurus, I am a Mum with small children - it takes me all my time and organisational skills to get to yoga workshops in my hometown, never mind a quick trip to India!  So i took a break from it and practiced my gentle Hatha yoga every day instead, as I wondered if Ashtanga could be practiced properly in this sporadic way of mine.  I do take my hat off to those who have a dedicated daily practice of Ashtanga, and don't let anything get in the way.

But last week I got back to my Ashtanga practice - I did the primary series 3 days running and actually felt amazing - even getting into Marichyasana D for the first time - seems the little break did me good!  So I have decided that my practice will be whatever it is.......some weeks will be a few sessions of the primary series and other weeks will be peppered with some Vinyasa Flow, yin yoga and maybe a bit of Iyengar (I also have a soft spot for holding poses for a long time!) Other weeks my main job of Mum to 2 lively boys will overide everything, and so it should after all they teach me so much about life every day.  I will allow my practice to ebb and flow, sometimes strong, sometimes gentle.

Yoga, for me is not about getting up at 4.30am (which is what I would have to do to get the primary series done before my kids get up!!)  it's about using all the yoga tools to help me with my life, both on and off the mat.  Every week is going to be different - and how fantastic is that??  There is so much yoga out there to try - so many styles, varieties and lots of creative and skilled teachers.  It's a great time for yoga and I am not going to beat myself up about the whole Ashtanga thing, when I get chance to do it, I'll do it and when I don't, I'll shoehorn some other type of yoga into my day - after all IT'S ALL YOGA!!

My eldest son helping me remain in Upavista Konasana!

No comments:

Post a Comment