Tuesday 30 July 2013

Combat Stress with Mindfulness


 
Understanding the theory behind breaking the stress response is great, but it doesn’t mean anything if you can’t put it into practise. Breaking the cycle of your thoughts can help you to feel less stressed and less anxious. We do have the power to get ourselves out of the cycle at any moment, without having to resort to the same old tools which are often unhealthy or counterproductive. The challenge is - it’s much easier said than done.

There has been some amazing work on the brain changes that come along with mindfulness training, these studies suggest that the most effective way to dissociate from our anxious thoughts is to focus in on our moment-to-moment experience. Mindfulness, teaches us simply to observe our thoughts and sensations in a nonjudgmental way – but this can be difficult at first, and a little abstract.

One of my favourite Buddhist quotes is “Wash every pot like it’s a new born baby” It really encapsulates the idea that even the most ordinary, everyday task can be turned into an experience.  I used to be the queen of multitasking – almost challenging myself to do as many things as I could.  I found taking care of my babies really challenged this – if you have a new born demanding to be fed then everything else takes a backseat!  Seems we are back to baby references again! 

Now as my yoga practice deepens and I try to become more present in my yoga – so it spills out into everyday life.  When I am doing what some people would think of as boring, menial tasks like hanging out the washing, I take my time, I breathe in the air, noting the scents on the breeze, the feel of the air against my skin.  It all seems so simple but when you put it into practice – just living and experiencing each moment of your life as it arises, then it does bring a sense of stillness and calmness and will balance out those other moments of chaos which will still arise in your life. 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment