Friday 5 July 2013

Yoga Highlight of the Week!

Some would imagine that for a yoga teacher, a highlight of their classes would be getting someone into headstand for the first time, or achieving an excellent break-through in trikonasana. But for me this week, someone falling asleep in my class was my highlight.

This particular lady is a spritely octogenarian, having lived a very full life so far as a teacher and mother. She has been attending my class for about a year and does her best each week.  But she struggles as she is rather deaf and the room we use for yoga has terrible acoustics and my voice tends to echo around and become distorted.  This causes her a bit of stress as she feels she maybe missing some crucial instruction.  I have tried my best to reassure her and she stays in good humour throughout, but I still sense her frustration.  During her relaxation her head is bobbing up and she is looking at me constantly as she thinks she has missed some important part of the relaxation instruction.

However, this week, I looked over as she lay in savasana - her body completely relaxed, sweet smile on her face, but no tension, no twitching, no bobbing head.  She had managed to relax enough to fall asleep.  Yes I know one should avoid falling asleep in relaxation/yoga nidra/meditation but for my seniors I make all the allowances they need and if they feel relaxed enough to fall asleep then I feel my job is done!

www.yogiclaire.com

No comments:

Post a Comment